Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Power of One by Bryce Courtenay


Set in a world torn apart, where man enslaves his fellow man and freedom remains elusive, The Power of One is the moving story of one young man's search for the love that binds friends, the passion that binds lovers, and the realization that it takes only one to change the world. A weak and friendless boy growing up in South Africa during World War II, Peekay turns to two older men, one black and one white, to show him how to find the courage to dream, to succeed, to triumph over a world when all seems lost, and to inspire him to summon up the most irrersistible force of all: the Power of One.

It is hard for me to find words to describe this book. I can't remember a book that I felt so invested in the character AND loved the writing. I also can't remember the last time I read a book that made me cry more than once. It was a beautiful coming of age tale that I was sad to see end and I can't stop thinking about it. If you are interested in reading more Bryce Courtenay, I suggest the next book in the series--Tandia--Katrina

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home